The families of those killed and others who survived the 1985 Langa Massacre have vowed to boycott the 2021 annual commemorative event as failed promises continue to pile up from the provincial government.
Some of the promises made over the years include the provision of houses and jobs to the families who lost relatives that fateful day.
On March 21 1985, on the 25th anniversary of the Sharpeville massacre [Human Rights Day], police opened fire on a crowd of people gathered on Maduna Road between Uitenhage and KwaLanga township, killing more than 20 and wounding many others.
Zixolisile Maseti, who was 18 at the time, was part of a group of Langa residents who gathered on Maduna Road.
He was among those wounded when police opened fire on the crowd.
Maseti, now 53, said every year there had been the same promises with none of them fulfilled.
He said he was now fed up.
“Every year we watch them hold these events where some MEC or premier shows up and they make bold promises about making the lives of the victims and their families better,” Maseti said.
“Every time nothing comes of it, so we said this year we are taking a stand and we are saying even if they have that event we will not be a part of it. We want to make that known.”
He said last year department of sports, recreation, arts and culture MEC Fezeka Nkomonye had made the same promises and even committed to meeting the families on a regular basis.
Maseti revealed the last time they saw or heard from Nkomonye had been at the 2020 event.
“We are not looking for handouts as such. We just want jobs. We want to be able to make a living so that we do not rely on government.
“We asked that they develop the memorial site. If they could provide just one person from each family with a job, I think we would all be happy.”
Nombulelo Mini, who lost her brother Thobekile Mahuwa in the massacre, said he had been the breadwinner of the family and that his death had left them in abject poverty.
“Everyone in our family is unemployed. We rely on social welfare grants,” Mini said.
“We do not want money. We want to be able to sustain ourselves so our families can build up our homes.
“After all of these years and all the promises, we will settle for jobs.”
Langa Massacre Foundation chair Nicholas Malgas said they had been trying for years to mediate between the government and the families.
He said the foundation would not stand in anyone’s way if they opted to boycott the event.
“These victims have been sent from pillar to post year in, year out. Every time they are told about budgets and processes and they are expected to understand this. But for how long can they remain understanding?”
He said since 1994 when the ANC came into power nothing significant had happened for the people of KwaLanga.
Nkomonye’s spokesperson, Busisiwe Jemsana-Mantashe, said after the families lodged a complaint in 2020, a team from various government departments had been put together to respond to the issues raised.
“A process is under way through the provincial legislature. We must put on record that the national Covid-19 lockdown, which was declared just a few days after the event, delayed some processes.
“The MEC was unable to live up to her promises to meet the victims. She has been working remotely.”
Mantashe said the government was working on a solution to address the needs of the families.
HeraldLIVE




Would you like to comment on this article?
Sign up (it's quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.